Think of a time when you or someone you know used informal language in a situation where formal language may have been more appropriate. What happened? Looking back, what could have been said differently, and what did the situation teach you about choosing your words carefully?
Prompt Response: A time I used informal language in a situation where formal language may have been more appropriate was when presenting in class for my language class. I have a habit of using jokes, slang, and laughter to make things less awkward, and personally, I've never felt more awkward than when standing in front of a class of people reading an unrehearsed speech. So, I went up, and when I started stumbling and stuttering from the pressure, I lost my composure and resorted to using jokes to make things better. It did not work, and looking back, I'm mortified. If I had a magical wand and could go back in time, I would first rehearse and, secondly, push through with the formal language and tone to maintain professionalism.
Summary: Today in class, our groups went from table to table reviewing our peers' Argument Paragraphs and gave them feedback on their commentary.
Reflection: Reading the writings of others helped us improve our writing. Seeing the different ways they structured and supported their arguments helped give me an idea of ways I myself could improve my writing in the future. I also took notes on the ways that our group could improve our current Paragraph when we do revisions.
Comments
Post a Comment