Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now?
Prompt Response: One argument or disagreement that I wish I could've handled differently was a recent argument with my mom. It was silly, and in truth, I still believe it was not my fault. She had misplaced an article of clothing, and after looking relentlessly for it, the only conclusion that she could come up with is that I must've stolen it. So, she came to me, and she blamed me for stealing her shirt. Looking back, I got very defensive and I think I tried to fight her annoyance with even more annoyance which now I realize I could've handled differently. My goal then had been to prove myself innocent, but I did so through blame, which only worsened our situation. If I could change what I did differently I would take the three methods we learned from Chapters 1-3 of Thank you Arguing- Blame, Values, and Choices. Then, I think I would've approached her with choice instead of blame for a more receptive and productive response.
Summary: In class today, we read short excerpts from the book Thank you Arguing, took notes on it, and discussed what the different steps mean and how you can apply them when trying to "Win" an argument.
Reflection: I learned that there are three main ways to approach a disagreement; blame, values, and choices. I also learned the value of arguing instead of fighting for communication. I can use these skills in real life to avoid getting a parking ticket from a cop, seducing a guy, and looking out for the signs of when a guy is trying to seduce me.
Comments
Post a Comment