As you grow older and face new experiences, what issue or topic do you think you'll have to stand up and debate most often, whether with friends, family, or society?

Prompt Response: 

One issue or topic that I think I'll have to stand up and debate most often with society is casual forms of discrimination. Unfortunately, in American society, lots of our structures and our culture is rooted in racism. With the introduction of social media, both blatant and casual forms of racism spread with ease, and many aren't aware of the consequences this has on our modern day generation. I believe that we as a society are unaware of the power our words carry, and as a POC I have firsthand with experience with this. Whether it be society, friends, family, or even myself, I think we all as a collective have lots of room to grow in this aspect, and I believe it all starts with accountability. So, as I grow older, and I find new ways to spread my voice and opinion I hope to play my own special role in helping spread love and equality for all.


Summary:

Today in class we looked deeper into the meaning of Pathos, Ethos, and Logos to get a thorough understanding. In order to fully grasp this concept, we paired it with photo evidence. Determining the best fit for the photo: Pathos, Ethos, and Logos. We learned that Pathos means to invoke emotion, Ethos means the author has credibility, and Logos is evidence based on facts and logic.


Reflection: 

I was able to apply Pathos, Ethos, and Logos to different photos shown, and I think the lesson helped teach me that Pathos, Ethos, and Logos are deeper than I initially thought. It takes thorough analysis, deciding which one of the three not only makes the most sense, but which one fits the argument the best. I also learned that even though it might be a generally stigmatized topic, such as death, it doesn't always necessarily signify Pathos. In order for it to be Pathos, you need to feel something (Such as a little kid crying).

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Think about the word or phrase you find yourself using the most right now. What is it, what does it mean, and why has it become part of your everyday vocabulary? Explain when you typically use it and what your choice of this word or phrase might reveal about you.

Which learning method do you enjoy the most? Class discussions, worksheet work, or hands-on activities.

Describe something you will never fully understand.